German Technical Translation
Online glossaries & resources for German technical translation
German technical translation is another very specialized translation field.
sub-specializations in IT, manufacturing, engineering etc., many German
translators who work in the field of technical translation do no other
type of translation – they are in great demand in industry, science and
This article covers:
Germany's reputation as a hotbed of technical innovation is both deserved and legendary, and “Made in Germany” is an accepted seal of quality worldwide.
Working as a German technical translator offers great career prospects for linguists with a technical background, or with a keen interest in science and technology.
Here are some useful links to good glossaries of German technical
terms and technology lists for electrical, mechanical and civil
engineering, maths, IT and other related fields. They are a great supplement to your library of specialist German dictionaries.....
I hope they help!
German Technical Translation – Engineering
- Dictindustry – This glossary is great, a real in-depth source
of specialised industrial terms compiled by translation agency Techni-Translate.
Includes samples of each term in use taken from in-house agency translations. Draws
on DG Translation database of technical translations.
- Item glossary - Published by item Industrietechnik GmbH
with around 26,000 keywords. Translates in both directions and gives very helpful
detailed explanation of each term and its meaning.
Tiefbohren - Deep Drilling, Hosted by BGTB GmbH, this is a short
glossary of terms used in deep drilling.
- FEMFM – Friction Materials. Published by the Federation of European
Manufacturers of Friction Materials, German & English terms, as well as French, Italian and Spanish.
- Fachlexikon Mechatronik – 250,000 technical terms, designed for
students and those working in the field of mechatronic and related areas. Indicates
context for use of each term.
Wörterbuch– Joint project by several companies in the
automotive industry, covering 16-related automotive fields. Currently includes
2,650 German terms, translated into 6 languages, and draws on respected range of lexographic sources in the
- Vector – Automotive Electronics. Vector is an established automotive
electronics developer. Terms available in 6 languages including German.
- INIS – International Nuclear Information System,
published by IAEA.org, and offering a multilingual database of terms used in
the nuclear industry.
German Technical Translation – IT
- ISACA® (the Information Systems Audit and Control Association) has published a comprehensive and extremely useful English glossary of IT terms, including their verified and approved German translations: 72 pages, from Abend to Zero-end-exploit.
TIP! German technical translators often
work with very similar texts - often in a fairly
narrow niche, making computer aided translation
or CAT tools invaluable. They help reduce
translation time, enhance consistency & boost output.
German Technical Translation – Maths
- dh Materialien - English/German and German/English maths dictionary.
- Mathe Online Lexikon, for secondary schools, universities and distance learning - explanation of mathematical terms, only in German.
Multilingual technical glossaries
- IATE - This is multilingual European Union
terminology site (for all European Union languages) that one of my site visitors suggested I include here. It's range is broad, and I've have also listed it on the glossary page for German legal terminology.
If you know of any good glossaries for German technical translation that you've found
useful and would like to recommend, then we'd love to hear from you!
use the form below (I will NOT pass your details on to anyone!) to
submit your suggested source and we'll add it to the list.
Thank you very much for contributing to our German technical translation database!
German Translation Tips & Resources
glossaries in this series:
a German to English
translator living and working in Vienna, Austria. I turn German texts
into clear and accessible English, allowing clients to present their
stories, ideas and information to a completely new audience. My business
and marketing clients rely on me to get their message across clearly
and effectively. How can I help you today?